It will make a number of changes to UK data protection law. One area of change relates to the consents that are required from individuals – alumni, donors and others – to allow your fundraising and donations team to contact them.
The Information Commissioner has provided some guidance on what needs to be done to comply with the new law relating to these consents:
- Consent requires a positive opt-in. Don’t use pre-ticked boxes or any other method of consent by default.
- Be specific and granular. Vague or blanket consent is not enough.
- Be clear and concise.
- Name any third parties who will rely on the consent.
- Make it easy for people to withdraw consent and tell them how.
- Keep evidence of consent – who, when, how, and what you told people, and how they responded.
Our Independent Schools solicitors appreciate the pressures and challenges you face. We try to really get to know the schools we advise. We focus on understanding the culture, the complexities of your school’s operations and its particular characteristics. We enjoy this aspect of building great client relationships – and we deliver effective and relevant legal advice as a result.