We act for all sides of the industry including major contractors and sub-contractors, SME builders, private individuals, developers, educational institutions, professionals, housing associations and trade federations. This helps the team to see a project from all angles and as a result the team has a good perspective for moving projects forward.
Our team, led by Lorna Carter, who is a member of the Federation of Master Builders Standards Committee and has been specialising in construction law for more than 25 years, can work with you through the negotiation, drafting, amendment and finalisation of project-specific agreements including development agreements, building contracts, bonds, guarantees and collateral warranties and other documents supporting development works. We work alongside you and as a member of the team including with funders, monitoring surveyors and project managers.
In addition to this the team has a particular interest in health and safety construction-related issues specific to the sector.
Howard Crossman who has also been a dedicated construction lawyer for more that 25 years, leads the International side of the team’s practice in areas including the Middle East, Asia and Africa. Howard also has a specialism in the highways maintenance and street lighting sector.
In addition to our stand-alone construction advice, we work side by side our property development colleagues advising on all construction elements of sales and purchases, development management agreements and forward funding arrangements.
We also specialise in the resolution of construction and engineering disputes, often through alternative resolution where appropriate. More information on this can be found here.
We spend time getting to know our clients and their business and pride ourselves on our practical, imaginative and unstuffy approach.
Our Key Services
- Advice on procurement, contract negotiation and drafting including advising on all main Standard Form Contracts and Sub-Contracts – the JCT suite, ICE, NEC and FIDIC.
- Advising clients across the industry on drafting bespoke Building Contracts and Schedules of Amendments to Standard Form Contracts. Drafting collateral warranties, bonds, works contracts, other types of sub-contract, novation agreements, consultants’ appointments and sub-consultants’ appointments.
- Contract interpretation and advisory services.
- Construction dispute resolution services
- Acting for a multi-billion-dollar international construction and engineering consulting group on construction-related matters
- Advising a Cambridge College on its multi-million-pound construction project
- Advising a major contractor on developments in a prestigious location in Cambridge
- Defending a claim by a main contractor in a major post-Grenfell cladding dispute
- Advising a developer in relation to construction documents for modular and eco building in Cambridgeshire